A while back I read Finding Alice by Melody Carlson. I dont know about changing my views on this subject if any it has confirmed what I already knew. The story is about a young lady whom develops schizophrenia. I myself have a mental illness - depression and am on mediation for it. I have also suffered from dark nasty thoughts before and have been paranoid. Having these illnesses doesnt mean one is any less of a person. It doesnt mean one is crazy, demon filled or violent. One with the right treatment can lead an fulfilling life.
I once knew a man with schizophrenia. I was in my late teens early 20s. I wish I had known then what I know now. I might have understood him better and gotten alongside him more.
I firmly believe that society needs to be educated about mental illnesses more. It can happen to any of us. Sometimes it is brought on by stress. It can also be caused by an imbalance in ones brain. Or can be genetic. With this in mind we need to be considerate, helpful and supportive of people with this illness and get alongside them to get the treatment they need. Dont tell them to get over it - you cant. Dont call them crazy in a number of cases they already feel that way.
I admire people like John Kirwan hes a former All Black. Who also has a mental illness and has stood up and said its ok. He helps society understand this. Other great websites are
NB:- Lost my work for this :( Hit the wrong button :( So if any of my readers saw the original draft on google reader and feel I have missed anything out please remind me in the comments.
1 comment:
I hit the wrong button more often than the right one - that's why my emails are littered with so many typos!!
I agree totally with you regarding mental illness. Mum used to say, and I agree with her on this one, that mental illness is worse than physical illness. Physical ilness is obvious but because mental illness is hidden it is ignored. People equate depression with just feeling a bit sad because something has gone wrong and so feel the sufferer is being childish and should just get over it. You can't get over a clinical depression without help any more than you can get over cancer.
Post a Comment