S N A P S H O T S 2010

My Life in 2010, knowing its going to a better year

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Children and Cooking

I read this article a while ago (Also check out the young ladies site next to this article, she also has a blog:)) and think its a shame and a disservice to our children

dont parents know that all too soon our youngests are going to be out there flatting and fending for themselves
I believe they need to make time to teach their children how to cook
maybe in the weekends if they work

I am proud to say that both my boys show a keen interest in cooking
I believe we need to follow their interests and nurture them, more so when it comes to this important life skill
we all need to eat dont we???
and its so much cheaper if one cooks at home rather than buying takeout

the article said and I quote
She said: "Many young parents have busy lives, working full time or part time. I think they find it easier to stop on the way home and buy ready prepared foods which can be reheated and served at home.
One of the best things I did when I went to uni as a younger (than I am now :)) mother was buy a crock pot. I still use it these days. Its easy to whack the meat and a few veges into the pot and set it going in the morning and forget about it until dinner time. Quick, easy and nutritious. It also gives my chief B14 a night off which he appreciates:)

It actually pays off teaching our children to cook. As they get older they can give mum a night off :) I really appreciate it, especially on a Monday, the busiest work afternoon of my week., when B14 has cooked dinner. Its a life saver when I get in the door after working all afternoon.

What do you think????????




8 comments:

Amypie71 said...

Absolutely agree with you here Jen, are we as a society raising helpless children or children that will be ready to provide for themselves as they grow up?

Hay said...

I think your daughter-in-laws of the future will be very grateful Jen. ;)

Meg said...

i fully agree. Take-aways are horribly expensive, full of additives and unnecessary fats and salt. With a bit of effort one can produce far healthier and more nutricious meals from quite cheap ingredients. I've had my crock pot for nearly 25 years and it's absolutely brilliant. Now I'm alone I can cook in bulk, divide the results into single portions and freeze so that I have a quick meal ready on days I don't feel like making much effort.

I think many mothers find it easier to do things themselves than teach and supervise their children doing the cooking. In fact it does the child no kindness for it leaves home with no idea of how to cook for itself.

Diane@Diane's Place said...

I think every kid should be taught how to cook at home. Of course you already know that I taught Jessica to cook starting at an early age and cooking occasionally and helping me cook were part of her chores as she was growing up at home. Now she's a good cook and learning more every day. :o)

Anonymous said...

Hiya Jen - I think teaching your kids to cook is brillant...they should also know how to work the washing machine too! I don't want ALL my boys bringing their washing home to mama when they've moved out...or thinking they need a girlfriend so she can do it for them which is a common thing I hear and see of some older teen males these days! Life skills are SO important...those who can fend for themselves are set apart from the rest and are usually successful in other areas of life too, like work and sports, etc.
Excellent post, sis :) ♥

Jen said...

thanks for your comment Amy :)

LOL Hay Im apparently going to have to wait a long time for a daughter in law B14 reckons hes going to be a bachelor and that girls cost too much $$. It will interesting to see if this changes when some pretty girl comes along. Hes had this stance for a long time.
At least he will be able to look after himself in the meantime :)

Meg I get good sized cuts of meat and they usually fed us for two nights :) On the 2nd nights theres next to nothing to get it ready :) Im pleased your looking after yourself. Sometimes one hears of older people not bothering too much when they are alone. IM very pleased this isnt you :)

Diane I didnt knopw that Jess was a fab cook. All credit to the both of you :)


Thanks Nicki ♥ I hear ya :) Gonna have to get that older boy of mine into the laundry. He does do his washing if it mounts up HOWEVER the fact that this sint all that often and that we have a new washing machine (God bless Granddad) Ill have to teach him :)
thanks hun

Post Grad Hair Cut said...

Growing up my mom was always better at baking. So today I am a great baker and not such a great cook. I'm learning though! I wish I had learned these skills a long time ago.

Donatella said...

new follower..glad I stopped by!off to see more..have a great weekend!!