S N A P S H O T S 2010

My Life in 2010, knowing its going to a better year

Friday, January 22, 2010

Picking My Battles

I have a 14 year old whom being a typical teenager is sometimes stubborn and lazy

This was getting to me last year so I went and did a Parenting Teenage Course. I decided at the end of it that I actually have an ok kid. Hes not into drugs or alcohol. He doesnt break the law.

Yes sometimes hes stubborn, lazy and rebellious. For example after the ex and I broke up and grew his hair long. It was long, messy and not really well looked after. He did this because he was going through a stage. The ex never picked his battles and criticized B14 over everything. Poor kid :( I could digest right now but I wont thats a whole another story.

Friends of the family encouraged him to try another hair style. Eventually he got sick of it. He asked that I take him to the hairdressers, which I did and he had a nice respectable hair cut. Then the friends and I told him how dashing he looked :)

5 comments:

Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads said...

It's not always easy to let things go. I think there is a delicate balance that is often hard to keep.

Meg said...

I think that with teenagers one has to think carefully about what things are important and what may simply be a matter of differing taste such as music,hair or clothes. Often a bit of patience and "cunning" as was employed over the hair style will work far better than being heavy handed. He probably thinks the new style was actually his idea anyway - remember he is a young MAN and so needs a bit of subtle manipulation and flattery like all men!LOL

If it is something that is important, however, then one has to stick to one's guns. Here, firmness and consistency are the key things.

Anonymous said...

I know it's hard biting your tongue sometimes but it will save you sooo much fighting if you just turn a blind eye to things like his hair. He's at the age where he's trying out all sorts of stuff. When I remember the clothes I wore at 14....so not good!

Jen said...

Im fully aware of that Meg :)

lol I can imagine LS :)

Alice said...

He's quite an adventurous one, at least he is with his hairstyle. :D